Skip to main content

Die or Think

There is a disturbing voice which is reverberating and its echoes are heard across the mountains and valleys. People are running like herds; churched and unchurched are the same in this.

The voice that I hear is so familiar to all of us thought it might take various forms.

“As a man thinketh, so is he”

Wow. What a powerful truth. It will change your world. The power of your thinking, imagination, fantasy can just change you and therefore change your world. That’s nothing new. Isn’t it?

What saddens me is the great philosophers of the world have screamed this aloud for several centuries now but I have not seen anyone changing for Great but just turn miserable.

I do understand what you are going to say – does not the bible say so. Brilliant so you know the Bible; Am glad that you know the Word of God.

Lets look at the verse in detail “.. as a man thinketh, so is he…” Prov. 23: 7

Should we look at only the verse 7 a or should you want to look at 7b as well.

The full verse goes like this:

For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he: Eat and drink, saith he to thee; but his heart is not with thee. – Prov. 23:7

What does eat and drink do in the verse about thinking?
What is Solomon trying to tell?

This is our problem today. We do not read the scripture fully and we / the world loves to quote it partially or out of context. ( little knowledge of anything is a killer )

To make it easy for us, am quoting Prov. 23: 1 – 8

1When thou sittest to eat with a ruler, consider diligently what is before thee:
2And put a knife to thy throat, if thou be a man given to appetite.
3Be not desirous of his dainties: for they are deceitful meat.
4Labour not to be rich: cease from thine own wisdom.
5Wilt thou set thine eyes upon that which is not? for riches certainly make themselves wings; they fly away as an eagle toward heaven.
6Eat thou not the bread of him that hath an evil eye, neither desire thou his dainty meats:
7For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he: Eat and drink, saith he to thee; but his heart is not with thee.
8The morsel which thou hast eaten shalt thou vomit up, and lose thy sweet words.

In simple terms, here Solomon is reflecting on life’s principles on how to behave before ruler, what to desire for and what not too, whom to fellowship and whom not too etc.


Solomon mentions “…as a man thinketh..” in the context of not to fellowship with a person who has an evil heart because he is not wishing good for you. He warns us against even desiring food from his table.

You might say, “its fine. Why Should not I Think and Be what I have to Be”

Well the problem in that entire school of thought is rooted in self and self alone. The philosophy of the today’s world like of the old is driven by Self which gets its voices through Positive Psychology, Psycho Analytical approach to spirituality and relationships and humanistic views all contrary to the revealed Word of God – the bible.
When your self is put before God and His Authority and Will; and Written and Revealed Word.

The Good news of the Christ Jesus is that HE HAS DONE IT ON THE CROSS & PURCHASED FOR US THE LIFE
IN FULLNESS.

The problem is that we homo-sapiens, we want to be our God. This is the same think that made us fall in Eden and even today.

Self - Self - Self . A word that word that is so much used and part of the new age mantra.

Self esteem, Self awareness, Self realization etc. These are the words of the new age mantra and salvation. But sadly our “Self” cannot handle much. Ever since the fall in Eden, SELF has lost its true power and strength. What remains is the SELF which is fuelled by LUST. That’s the reason and cause of all human misery, tyranny, and poverty.

What can poor self do? Well, poor self has to just rely on the redeemer.

Then what is the solution?

The solution is defined in the following verses

Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit.
He that loveth his life shall lose it; and he that hateth his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal.
If any man serve me, let him follow me; and where I am, there shall also my servant be: if any man serve me, him will my Father honour. (John 12: 24 – 26)

I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman.
Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit.
Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you.
Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.
I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.
If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.
If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.
Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples.
As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love.
If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.
These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full.
This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.
Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.
Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.
These things I command you, that ye love one another.
If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you. (John 15: 1 – 18 )


Who is there better than the MASTER who has summarized the best of life for us.
Do you want to read from a man who is lived the life of the MASTER?
Here it is for your reading

Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.
…. I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

(Galatians 2 )


And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;

(Romans 1: 28)

To conclude you might want to read this:

Consider the word of God in 2 Timothy 4:3-4:
For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

What am I doing writing this?

a) I am getting my basics straight
b) I want to hear my Masters voice clearly and not corrupted with popular thoughts and views
c) Would like to pass on my reflections


God bless you

Comments

Unknown said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said…
Good to see you back at blogging after a long long time..


"As a man thinketh, so is he" What a powerful truth !

The way a man thinks can impact his relationship with others, his commitment to integrity, his attitude toward morality, his perception of truth, and his sense of meaning in life - it can mean the difference between living a life filled with hope or one of despair.

Have a nice day
Frankle.

Popular posts from this blog

Quotes from the movie 'Interstellar' - to ponder

We’ve always defined ourselves by the ability to overcome the impossible. And we count these moments. These moments when we dare to aim higher, to break barriers, to reach for the stars, to make the unknown known. We count these moments as our proudest achievements. But we lost all that. Or perhaps we’ve just forgotten that we are still pioneers. And we’ve barely begun. And that our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us, because our destiny lies above us.” - Cooper ===================  “Maybe we’ve spent too long trying to figure all this out with theory. Love is the one thing that transcends time and space.” - Amelia Brand ==================== “Murphy’s law doesn’t mean that something bad will happen. It means that whatever can happen, will happen.” - Cooper ================= Cooper: You’re a scientist, Brand. Brand: So listen to me when I say love isn’t something that we invented. It’s observable. Powerful. It has to mean something. Cooper:

One year...2 blogs

One year has passed so fast since i started blogging. i have just blogged twice and less than 10 visitors. During this period i had forgotten the id, password and even the url. How come then i logged in now...i guess i should seriously blog now...now is the time for a fresh start if you by chance read this, you will see more of my brain waves floating on the web soon ciao God bless you Christus - The Magis

B. I. A. K - Brother I Am kONFUSED ( Bishop Prays for Obama's Conversion )

The majority of the Americans voted for an outspoken and charismatic leader in Obama who claims to be a Christian by faith but supports death in all his belief. Christ came to give us life and life in fullness but here we have a leader who is against life. I am not a fanatic and I don’t want to sound like a fanatic. But the real issues today are not the symptoms we see such as AIDS, poverty in third world nations and recession in the developed & developing nations, civil war or what not. I used the word the symptoms because the real issues are more on the principles and beliefs that we have as our guiding pillars. If we believe in things which leads to moral degradation and death then what it produces only will lead to chaos and total callousness ending in death.   I am not suggesting that one should ever go against the elected representative of people – the leader but one can strive to represent the truth in the right perspective in right forums in a more amicable way whic